Thread: Jury Duty in Jefferson County

Thanks

Default Jury Duty in Jefferson County

I supposed to "be available" for three freakin' months according to the first letter. Second letter came and told me to call a number on Monday night for a Tuesday trial. Last monday and last night when I called the message the recording said the trials were cancelled. Though last night they didn't tell me to call back next Monday! Am I through?

This can't possibly continue through December! My boss thinks WV is backward and if this continues I'll be wearing down all my favors for those who have to cover for me, be available to do my work, only for me to walk in on Tuesday mornings.

Don't they have a better system? To require me to "be on the hook" for three months is simply not a good jury selection system.

Anybody else experience this situation?

Edit:

OK, so I called the courthouse and spoke to a live person. Only on the hook if you get a letter. Doesn't roll over as I originally thought! (Stoopit Lep! One letter = one phone call. But hey, this is my first time!).

So for future reference and forum inquiry.

1.) They send you an initial letter telling you the timeframe to which you'll be committed. Fill out questionairre and return it.

2.) Wait to get letter with a court date, then call the phine number the night before to see if the trail will really take place.

3.) Afterwards, wear a sticker that says "Kiss me, I was a jury member who voted to convict the dirty SOB!"
    Last edited by Leprechaun; 10-09-2007 at 01:11 PM.

2. 3V-Training
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Jury Duty in Jefferson County

http://www.wvnd.uscourts.gov/jury_information.htm

I was called twice for jury duty, but ended up not having to go. The first time I was a full time student at Shepherd and was getting ready for finals, the second time I was just about 2 weeks from my due date while pregnant with my daughter.
    "If you have time to whine and complain about something then you have the time to do something about it.
    " ~Anthony J. D'Angelo

Thanks

Congrats Lep on dodging your first bullet! You're on call for 3 months now... just wait for your next "call" ...

You are lucky ... I had to sit in court one morning, luckily it was postponed (it was a big trial, read about the delay the next day in the paper!!).
    Kind words conquer Make everyday happy

Come see me at www.BGCustoms.biz

Thanks

My sister just went through this over the summer. She got the initial letter- participated in the first trial and then the next 2 were canceled (via phone the night before). So in the 3 months she was called upon 3 times.

Maybe she will see this and post her exact expierence. It all seemed whacked to me.

Thanks

Jury Duty is HORRIBLE for Jefferson County! I was "on call" from May until September of this year. Sometimes they would call the afternoon BEFORE I was supposed to be there. It really is ridiculous. They pay you though...at the end of my term, they sent me a check for $99 for the two days I actually served.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
    1.) They send you an initial letter telling you the timeframe to which you'll be committed. Fill out questionairre and return it.
    Just out of curiosity, what kinds of things were on the questionnaire?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LazerFlash View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what kinds of things were on the questionnaire?
    Strange questions really ...

1.) What was my quest?
    2.) What was my favorite color?
    3.) What was the flight-weight-ratio of a swallow?

Actually, if I remember correctly just the basic stuff. Was I married? Had kids? Where I worked? Any prior experience in being a juror? Whether there was anything medical that would prevent me being a juror? About 20 questions in all! (I knew I should have made a copy!)

Thanks

HOW TO GET OUT OF JURY DUTY......

Actually, if I remember correctly just the basic stuff.
    Was I married?
    Yes. Before I ended my suffering and sent her back to the 9th circle of hell from which she escaped....

Had kids?
    Yes, but they now live with their mother at Circle of Hell, Apt.9, Damnation, NV 00666.

Where I worked?
    At the Post Office.

Any prior experience in being a juror?
    Yes, and I still think OJ was innocent.

Whether there was anything medical that would prevent me being a juror?
    Turrets....... S**T, D^MN, B#LL LICKER WEASEL F*&KER!!!!
    "BRIAN, Close the window! You're letting all the Stank out...." "Ahh, ahh, ahh and boom goes the dynamite."

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS(It's not nice to pick on retards.)

01/20/2013

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I found the system in Montgomery County MD to be the best solution. "One Day or One Trial".

Many locales are adopting the system because it's so (relatively) convenient. There's no reason Jefferson County can't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    Many locales are adopting the system because it's so (relatively) convenient. There's no reason Jefferson County can't.
    That may be the problem!

Thanks

Four times I've received letters requesting me to call the number on a Monday night for Tuesday jury duty.

Four times I ask my boss for leave, four times I line up folks within the company to cover for my absence, four times I've called the stinkin' number, four times the trials have been cancelled, four times I come to work telling everybody 'False Alarm'!

My boss thinks West Virginia is a backward state and I'm beginning to think that! And I still have another month of being on the list!

Thanks

Four times I've received letters requesting me to call the number on a Monday night for Tuesday jury duty.

Four times I ask my boss for leave, four times I line up folks within the company to cover for my absence, four times I've called the stinkin' number, four times the trials have been cancelled, four times I come to work telling everybody 'False Alarm'!
    That sounds about like other people I know who've been called on for jury duty in Virginia and MD.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kensey View Post
    That sounds about like other people I know who've been called on for jury duty in Virginia and MD.
    Totally boring! I guess I just want the lightning to strike me! I want to get empaneled on a jury of salacious scandal requiring seqesation, become foreman of that jury, and then work deals with defense attorneys behind the scene for big dollar cash payments and a have a chance to write a book about the outrageous sexual misconduct taking place in jury rooms across the country. Then do the TV circuit, ... Oprah, Larry, etc.

(Wake up Lep, time for some black dog ...)

Thanks

I know this will open a big "can of worms" but, personally I think it is a priviledge to be called. I've lived in WV for 14 years, served five times with no complaint. As citizens we do have some responsibilities that we should face up to with grace for the many, many freedoms we are guaranteed. Is the US and state governments perfect, no, but are they better than many other countries, I think yes. Call me old fashioned, but I've been taught from the cradle to give back to my community in thanksgiving.
    Taffy Kadiddlehopper

Thanks

I used to hate getting called on but now I, too, view it as a responsibility and an education.

At least you see your tax dollars at work.

Thanks

Responsibility and civic duty - absolutely ... but don't string me along for three months! Send me one notice with all the dates so I can go to my management and plan accordingly for back-up coverage. That's all!

Last time jury duty came up I was involved in a deal with blah, blah, blah, ... So either complete a deal that had major impact on the bonus pool or go sit through a bassackward court session for an idiot drunk driver or shoplifter! (I had forgotten to call the jury hotline and took my chances that the courts cancelled the days trials!!!)
    Last edited by Leprechaun; 12-04-2007 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kensey View Post
    Totally boring! I guess I just want the lightning to strike me! I want to get empaneled on a jury of salacious scandal requiring seqesation, become foreman of that jury, and then work deals with defense attorneys behind the scene for big dollar cash payments and a have a chance to write a book about the outrageous sexual misconduct taking place in jury rooms across the country. Then do the TV circuit, ... Oprah, Larry, etc.
    I'm with you, Lep! But, the reality is that the only jury that *I* will ever serve on will be one of those boring civil-type trials. No prosecutor is EVER gonna take a chance on me; too bad.

Thanks

Never again will I serve. I'll move out of state if I have to.

I served on a trial of kidnapping and Attempted First Degree Murder. We found him GUILTY of all charges. He was to get "Life Without Parole".

Two months later I saw him walking down the street!!!!!!!!!! WTF?
    If people weren't so ignorant, self-absorbed, and down right stupid, I wouldn't be so Bitchy all the time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trollibear View Post
    I served on a trial of kidnapping and Attempted First Degree Murder. We found him GUILTY of all charges. He was to get "Life Without Parole".

Two months later I saw him walking down the street!!!!!!!!!! WTF?
    Conviction thrown out on appeal, most likely. That's a valid part of the process, and if blame for it is to be assigned, you can usually blame either cops who screwed up the investigation or arrest, prosecutors who botched the courtroom work, or a trial judge who failed in his duty to run the court proceedings properly.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think it is a priviledge to be called
    Actually, I don't think too many people would disagree with you.

What we cannot tolerate in a modern society is antiquated jury systems. Put in place when only landed gentry (white guys) would serve, today they're becoming nearly impossible to cope with. For reasons Lep has cited, among others.

The much less burdensome "one day or one trial" system makes so much sense, Jefferson County should have adopted it already. What are we waiting for?