Thread: 24 Legged bug?

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, United States
    Thanks

Talking 24 Legged bug?

Has anyone run into a 24 legged bug? It got away before I could take a picture of it but it was in our bathtub and it supposedly "bit" my son (he can be a bit of a drama queen so it may have just touched him.) It's front legs were a little bit shorter than the back ones and it had long antenna in the front. It was a tanish color and it had some dark lines on it. It's body was probably 1 1/2 inches long and my son pulled it out of the bathtum. We thought it was dead so I told him to put it out on the porch so his Dad could look at it later and when the kids when out to look at it a few minutes later it started walking then running away. Any ideas or can someone recommend a good insect identification site?

Thanks all!!

Thanks

Default Re: 24 Legged bug?

Are you sure it was not a spider threesone?

That would be hot
    STILL WAITING

Thanks

Did it look like this?

http://www.pbase.com/dang/image/61400403

They can bite.

Thanks

Probably a centipede..... and yes they can bite, not dangerous though. Who did the leg counting, someone in your house have too much time on their hands?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

OK, so THAT'S what that thing I found in my house was. This house was abandoned for years before we bought it. We exterminated, (and gutted) and moved in. Weeks later, I was moving the tool rack in the basement, and one of these things scurried out, and I couldn't stop it to capture it. The one I saw either didn't have those antennas, or they blended in with the floor. Take away the antennas, and...

You all should have seen the look on D's face when I frantically told him that some mutant stretch-limo of spiders was in the basement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kensey View Post
    Life's rough. Buy a helmet."

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've seen these things outside and even inside our house too. The cats love to chase them around from time to time.
    "If you have time to whine and complain about something then you have the time to do something about it.
    " ~Anthony J. D'Angelo

Thanks

It would be dead if it was in my house.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Indeed it seems like you have a house centipede. When I lived in a basement apartment, I used to see these all the time in my bathtub. I've only seen a couple of them in the house since we've moved up here.

A type of sighting like this usually results in my screaming from the room and making DH or my son kill it.
    Have you ever noticed that those who advocate the hardest for personal responsibility never seem to take any when they cause their own negative situations?

Thanks

I don't like those things at all! We have them all outside (thankfully!) and they like to hang around the woodpile. There are a ton of them at work so I have to be on the lookout. I dont want one of them crawling up my pantsleg.
    EEK!!!!
    I'd be dangerous if I had a brain - me

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Celestial, I think if that happened to me I would have a heart attack.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Celestial, I think if that happened to me I would have a heart attack.
    LOL! I almost did have one. I was getting out the mops for the hallways when one of those things came speeding out of nowhere right for my foot. I yelped and dropped the mop. Then as I was in a classroom, there it was on keyboard. I swore this thing was following me around. Then, when I was putting everything away, that bugger flew across my foot. I screamed then and slammed the door to the mop closet. I clocked out and left as fast as I could. I had it for that day. LOL!

Thanks

You are all a bunch of scardy cats or maybe I'm nuts...... this is one of my favorite creatures, I think they are beautiful. They eat the bugs in your house, so those of you that have them, must have what they like to eat as well. Kind of like black snakes, if you have them, you've got snake dinner running around somewhere, no one is going to hang around an empty grocery store.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You know the really funny thing was that the black snake in the basement didn't bother me at all...in fact, I was pretty mad a DH when he killed it (in all fairness, DH was working at the electrical box in the basement, and the snake startled him, so dead snake). I keep telling him he needs to go get another one, especially since the last time I was down there I saw a mouse running around.

Guess my cat isn't doing her job.

Thanks

Yep, I've had one or two in my bathtub of which my youngest saw and then would not take a bath after that. They are gross.

Thanks

[quote=FromCity2Country;
    ....some mutant stretch-limo of spiders ......[/quote]

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, United States
    Thanks

Talking Re: 24 Legged bug?

That is it!! I have never in my life seen such a strange bug, and I actually enjoy insects (when they aren't invading my personal space too much.) Thank you so much. Now I just have to worry about what kind of items our house was supplying it with.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

OK, I think I have the centipede topped...yesterday, my son was walking from the living room to the hall and almost stepped on a snake! We have really no idea what sort of snake it was (DH promptly killed it). Does anyone know signs we should look for to determine whether this was an isolated incident or if indeed snakes have taken up residence somewhere in the house? And aside from mothballs, anyone know what else we can do to prevent further occurrences? My son was jes' a little freaked out!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

They can't 'take up residence' in the house unless you have a steady supply of food and water inside.

More likely he just wandered in when someone left a door open. I once found one in my bedroom (back in the city). We swept him into a bag and took him out back and let him go. He was relieved to be rid of us I'm sure!

Thanks

Hey, I have no problem with those bugs, but DO have a problem with snakes....EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    "A mind is a terrible thing to close!" - ME

"Life's a journey, not a destination.." and "Dream on, Dream on, Dream until your dreams come true!" by the great Steven Tyler of Aerosmith.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." by Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I have no problem with most snakes, as my son has had them as pets and I can tell the poisonous from non. And spiders are just a pain and gross. But I can't stand centipedes or millipedes! Ever since I was a kid and encountered a centipede in the basement when we were cleaning the rec-room...ugh!!! They have too many legs and move way too fast for me!
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.