Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homeowners Insurance cover roof collapse due to snow?

Thanks

Default Homeowners Insurance cover roof collapse due to snow?

With the foot already on there from the last one and the 3 feet we are supposed to get from this one I dont know if my roof is going to make it. I assume that home owners will cover if she goes?

2. Mountain Lake Club
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I hope you have a 2 story house, and I hope you remain on the bottom floor.

Because if she goes on top of you, It's possible that your insurance coverage would be the least of your problems...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kensey View Post
    Life's rough. Buy a helmet."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 680 Posts

Make sure your policy does not have clauses against natural disasters. If you shovel it off, be careful. In general, try to work so you are standing on snow, not an icy roof (yes, I have had to do this before).

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I get a feeling I'll be on my roof this weekend... :/

Thanks
    Blog Entries

DH will be shoveling ours as well The parts of big snows that I HATE.
    Have you ever noticed that those who advocate the hardest for personal responsibility never seem to take any when they cause their own negative situations?

Thanks

Do you really get up and shovel the roof? I didnt know that it was necessary - never really thought of it to be honest.
    "A hug is like a boomerang - you get it back right away" .....Bil Keane

Thanks

We do it up in Canada.

Thanks

used to HAVE to do it when i lived in a cheapo trailer with a metal roof....was always fearful of it just outright collapsing but also the chimney for the gas propane furnace didn't extend up very far and would get covered over easily in snowstorms which would cause the furnace to shut down...one morning i walked out into the living room and the roof did actually collapse, in january of 1996 after that storm that dumped like 36"....

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Oz, DH went up once during the December storm and shoveled it. In 2003, he and The Boy went up twice. The drifts during that storm were so deep, when they were done shoveling, they just slid off the roof into one of the big snow piles they had made. What can you do? :\

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OzGirl View Post
    Do you really get up and shovel the roof? I didnt know that it was necessary - never really thought of it to be honest.
    It depends on well the roof is built :-)
    Most steeper roofs do not have a problem.

If you do not have good insulation with ventalation, try to shovel off at least the bottom 5 feet or snow if you can not remove it all. Ice damns can form on your eaves and water can back up under the shingles. If you put a new roof on, ice sheild is pretty darn good stuff.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LFE View Post
    It depends on well the roof is built :-)
    Most steeper roofs do not have a problem.

If you do not have good insulation with ventalation, try to shovel off at least the bottom 5 feet or snow if you can not remove it all. Ice damns can form on your eaves and water can back up under the shingles. If you put a new roof on, ice sheild is pretty darn good stuff.
    We had ice form around the gutter in one area of our roof back in the Dec. snow. The melting snow had no where to go because the gutter was blocked with ice and it sat on our roof. The water and snow rose up so high that it made it's way under some flashing, I think that's what it's called, and began down pouring through the ceiling in our daughter's room and flooded part of the bedroom. We figured we were going to have more snow issues, so we didn't put the gutter thing back up. Hopefully, we won't have any issues of the next few days.
    "If you have time to whine and complain about something then you have the time to do something about it.
    " ~Anthony J. D'Angelo

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Homeowners Insurance will USUALLY cover this sort of damage. In the case of the roof water damage - they may point to the ice dams as a maintenance issue - but they will still repair what is damaged inside the house. Drywall, carpet, pad dried.

Quote Originally Posted by OzGirl View Post
    Chutney has that almost flat portion of his roof that is susceptible to accumulation. We have a low pitch and I am not worried about it.

In all of my years in cold country only had to shovel one year - had over 50 inches accumulated, and more expected. Yes, shoveled the roof. Yes, stepped off the roof into snow piles that almost reached the eves. Yes, tore the back porch off the house as a result of shoveling off of the roof - some of it landed on the wood porch - and the weight was too much for it (hadn't shoveled it off first). uh, oops. Yes, Insurance fixed it (once spring set in).

Folks with an uncomplicated roof that is pitched should not have to worry about it as we are "only" getting 30 inches. Trusses are engineered to handle a snow load. Flat roofs and those with a history of icing problems, may have cause for concern.
    cjb

George Bernard Shaw: The greatest problem in communication is the illusion that it's being accomplished.

www.unofficialbmw.com

Thanks

We already laid a rope over the roof to get the climbing rope over it tomorrow. We will have the rock climbing gear out and tie in for safety and shovel it that way.
    If you go on the roof make sure you get some safety gear on if you can and be really careful (like you all don't know that, but I still had to say it).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by austrianalps View Post
    We already laid a rope over the roof to get the climbing rope over it tomorrow. We will have the rock climbing gear out and tie in for safety and shovel it that way.
    If you go on the roof make sure you get some safety gear on if you can and be really careful (like you all don't know that, but I still had to say it).
    You guys have climbing gear? mmmm I guess Alps is the key right :-)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

One nice thing about living in an A-Frame is they were designed to avoid snow buildup!

Thanks

Default A good thing to do...

Quote Originally Posted by LFE View Post
    Make sure your policy does not have clauses against natural disasters. If you shovel it off, be careful. In general, try to work so you are standing on snow, not an icy roof (yes, I have had to do this before).
    Better yet, do NOT get on your roof. Pull the first few feet of snow from the edge of your roof...only get what you can comfortably reach. Leaving the edge clear allows the sun to heat the roof and keep the snow melting in daylight hours. This prevents an "ice dam" at the edge of the roof that makes the snow pack up behind it, increasing the load in one spot and the odds of roof damage increase.
    READ your insurance policy NOW, rather than after damage occurs.

Thanks

I think it depends on the pitch of your roof, we never had to shovel ours in Northern NY, but flatter pitched roofs often need to. It's extremely dangerous to shovel a pitched roof.
    Our flatter roof is leaking right now, so C's out there pulling off the snow.
    A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle.
    -Kahlil Gibran

Thanks

We used to have to shovel in Alaska. This was enough to make me feel uncomfortable, So Z and I shoveled off the house day before yesterday. The garage is next after this storm passes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    One nice thing about living in an A-Frame is they were designed to avoid snow buildup!
    Got that right.. then again, we have a 12/12 pitch and there's a good foot of snow covering the entire roof. Stuff's sticky!
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by millers1 View Post
    Got that right.. then again, we have a 12/12 pitch and there's a good foot of snow covering the entire roof. Stuff's sticky!
    That type of pitch can generally hold more weight, plus a foot of snow is not that bad, even as heavy as this stuff is.