Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Flea/Tick Season Over?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Is Flea/Tick Season Over?

I was wondering if it's now safe to cease the monthly spot on medications for our pets...
    Today's warm, but in general the nights are pretty cold. Anyone encountered fleas and/or ticks this late in the season?
    "What can you ever really know of other people's souls - of their temptations, their opportunities, their struggles?" - C.S. Lewis

Thanks

I've found ticks on my dog through December, even when the weather has been colder. Fortunately have not had the flea issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cwj View Post
    I was wondering if it's now safe to cease the monthly spot on medications for our pets...
    Today's warm, but in general the nights are pretty cold. Anyone encountered fleas and/or ticks this late in the season?
    Well, most vets will recommend that you continue flea & tick preventive treatments year-round. OTOH, most have a financial hand in that decision, since many pet owners buy their supplies from the vet. For the past 20 years or so, we have discontinued flea and tick treatments during the months of December, January and February. We resume sometime mid-March, depending upon the weather. This saves us at least three months each year. (And, with three dogs, that's substantial.

We used to follow the same pattern for heartworm prevention, but found that the cost of the bloodwork - and the associated vet visit - was actually more expensive than what we could buy three months' worth of the preventive turned out to be.

Thanks

I pulled two ticks off my dog two weeks ago, so I'm keeping up treatments.
    Wormie

Thanks

Similar to Wormdoc - we took two ticks off one of our dogs and one off the hubby this past week and a half.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

still pulling ticks off the outside cat. Keep on the meds for this month at least.
    cjb

George Bernard Shaw: The greatest problem in communication is the illusion that it's being accomplished.

www.unofficialbmw.com

Thanks

We pulled a tick off the cat just yesterday...and it wasn't on him the day before. So, yeah, they seem to still be active right now. I'd wait until the ground gets good and hard and/or there's some decent snowfall just to be sure.
    Mary
    Mama to 3 homeschooled lovelies

gate 4 river haven drive Shannondale and/or Hedgesville
    Thanks

I have seen ticks on the animals in the snow! I treat my pooch year round to be sure and make sure she is up to date on the Lymes vaccine.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the helpful advice.
    I suppose ticks are more weather-resistant than fleas (which I haven't seen since August). I better give one more treatment to my cats, just in case.

Thanks

my dog had a tick last week.
    Sceffi

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States, 107812615908638, Greensboro, North Carolina
    Thanks

it probably best to do it all year....but it is costly. we stopped the heartworm due to $$ for a long time, and when we resumed..it was negative. BUT then years ago the vet said it was not necessary in the winter months...and that dog came back positive. The treatment is awfullly hard on an animal of any age...better to be safe, and keep it going...
    MoeMoe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoeMoe View Post
    it probably best to do it all year....but it is costly.
    With heartworm prevention, you kinda have to take a longer view than just a month-to-month cost. Since any time you discontinue the treatments, you need to have a blood test to check for the presence of the worms *before* simply starting up again, the costs pretty much balance out. With that being the case, the preventive measure will always win out in my mind.

Flea & tick prevention, OTOH, is a bit different. Unlike others here, we have never seen a tick on any pet or person during the winter months; not saying it's impossible, just that it's never happened to us. I suppose that should it occur, our opinion would change quickly.

Thanks

This flee and tick season ends Dec 31st 2009 and the next one starts Jan 1st 2010

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LFE View Post
    This flee and tick season ends Dec 31st 2009 and the next one starts Jan 1st 2010

Good one LOL

But yes I has taken ticks off my dogs in the winter too.
    I treat all year long with all the cases of Lyme disease that are in this area.
    A pyr off leash is a dysappear

Thanks

Our heartworm meds also treat intestinal parasites, so considering all the God-awful stuff my dogs eat on our hikes in the woods I keep them on it year round.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Maybe last night's below freezing temps will help the tick situation a bit.
    I noticed fewer spiders on the porch, maybe they've packed it in for the Winter

Thanks

Wow, I thought I was the only one noticing fleas and ticks on the outdoor cats. I use over the counter treatments for one cat and they make a huge difference--can't afford the other treatments. Yeah, may keep up the treatments over the winter.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Thanks

No fleas on our cats... but they've had quite a few ticks hitching a ride for the last month or so. We usually treat the critters with Frontline until we get several hard freezes. I check 'em over frequently and soon as I see evidence of fleas or ticks (in the Spring), we resume treatment.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks

Dang it Jasper was dx'd with Lyme on Tues.

gate 4 river haven drive Shannondale and/or Hedgesville
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itsapyr View Post
    Dang it Jasper was dx'd with Lyme on Tues.
    Oh poor pup!